Azelis’ formulations, developed with Tagra’s CameleonCaps™, win Silver at the Make Up Bar Awards at in-cosmetics Global 2019 in Paris
3 April 2019
Tagra Biotechnologies and Azelis won the Silver Make Up Bar Award at in-cosmetics Global 2019 in Paris, France. At the Make Up Bar, visitors can see and try out eye, skin, nail and lip make-up formulations and put them to the test. The Personal Care team of Azelis UK created three colour-changing formulations featuring Tagra’s CameleonCaps™: “Shine On Lipgloss”, “No Limits Color Play” lipstick and “Dual Action Contour Highlight Balm”. The competition was fierce with over 70 submissions from global cosmetic leaders. Tagra’s CameleonCaps™ open a new dimension for formulators in creating gels, emulsions, foams, powders, wax-based formulations and more. This is Tagra’s second in-cosmetics Global award, in addition to two PCHi Fountain Awards in collaboration with Azelis.
Highlights & rationale
- CameleonCaps™ are cellulose-based encapsulated pigments that are durable during formulation and scale-up, yet break beneath fingertips upon application.
- Azelis’ lab experts leveraged Tagra’s CameleonCaps™ in hot-pour, anhydrous, and powder applications, leading to this range entering the Make Up Bar competition.
- In addition to CameleonCaps™ formulations developed for Tagra, Azelis is showcasing its “Unique You” range at in-cosmetics Global, a series of signature product formulations highlighting personalised beauty trends.
- Furthermore, Azelis’ “Catwalk Cosmetics” collection, an out-of-the-ordinary cosmetics range, is also on display at the stand L30.
- In-cosmetics and its competitions are an important opportunity for Azelis to demonstrate its lab expertise and innovation through formulation, a strategic direction for the company moving forward.
Azelis created a lipstick, a lipgloss and a highlighter balm with use of Tagra’s high-quality CameleonCaps™. CameleonCaps™ are cellulose-based encapsulated pigments that are durable during formulation and scale-up, yet break beneath fingertips upon application. CameleonCaps™ are versatile and readily integrated into formulations to create special effects and innovation, such as dramatic colour transformation, or as a visual marker to indicate a fresh active material release. The original shade of the formulations are hidden; pigments are disguised in the formulation maintaining both appearance and texture. The hidden colours of the formulation are revealed upon application by simply rubbing the formulation onto the lips or skin. Due to the nature of each CameleonCap™ a cascading colour effect is possible.
Claire Summers, Technical Development Manager Personal Care, Azelis EMEA, comments: “Before our Make Up Bar formulation range for Tagra, the CameleonCaps™ were not used in colour cosmetics and especially not in hot processes for wax-based formulations. With these formulations, we have proven they can open new dimensions for formulators in creating gels, emulsions, foams, powders, wax-based formulations and more.”
Dr. Danny Goldstein, Vice-President Research & Development, Tagra, adds: “This award is another recognition of our strong partnership with Azelis. Claire Summers’ formulation talent really showcases the superiority and versatility of Tagra’s quality microencapsulation technology.”
This award is an appraisal of yet another great achievement of the highly skilled teams of Azelis Personal Care. What distinguishes Azelis from other players in the chemicals distribution business is their strength in innovation. The innovation scene is where the company wants to be, growing from a pure distributor into a service provider of innovation. To further strengthen this, Azelis has increased their number of labs from 12 to almost 60 since 2012. This high number of labs allows the company to serve the local market needs and it helps their customers to shorten their time to market.